28 Apr Lentil Soup for Blood Sugar Balance
Posted at 16:18h in Dinner, Uncategorized 0 Comments
This recipe is adapted by @thegoldenbalance with a few changes to make it more blood sugar friendly, and to keep it plant based for all of you out there on plant based diets. Swapping out the potatoes for cauliflower allows for a more nutrient-dense and lowers the amount of carbohydrates, while still keeping this soup super creamy. For an added protein punch, I threw in some hemp hearts. I also added in a few more spices, but kept it plant based by using a vegetable stock.
Here’s what you need:
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1.5 cups cauliflower (frozen cauliflower can also be used)
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 8 cups water
- 3 tbsp vegetable base I used Better than Bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- a few tbsp of hemp hearts
- In a pot over medium heat add in olive oil, diced onion, carrots and cauliflower. Sauté for a few minutes until soft.
- Add in garlic, black pepper, salt, paprika and cumin. Then stir in red lentils.
- Add in water and vegetable stock. Then add in a bay leaf and cover the pot and bring to a boil. Let cook for about 30 min or until lentils are tender.
- Once done, take the bay leaf out and either transfer to a blender or use a hand mixer to purée the soup.
- Add in freshly squeezed lemon juice and hemp hearts. Enjoy!
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.