17 Jul Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Skewers
Posted at 17:34h in Dinner 0 Comments
An easy and delicious dish packed with lean protein, fibre and tons of flavour. When making kebabs I like adding peppers, onions, mushrooms and zucchini as they all cook up at the same time. The heat from the grill caramelizes the natural sugars in vegetables, causing them to taste sweeter and more flavourful. Feel free to add in whatever veggies you have, asparagus and cherry tomatoes would be great as well! Here is what you need to make these veggie and chicken skewers. I prepped the chicken and veggies separately.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
|Passive Time||4-12 hours|
- 1.5 lb of boneless chicken breast or thighs Flatted to about 1/2-1" thickness.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme - or 1 tbsp of fresh chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1/2 of fresh chopped oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 10-12 medium wooden skewers soaked in water for 1-2 hours
- 5 cremini or button mushrooms wiped clean and cut in half
- 1/4 small onion, sliced in wedges
- 1/2 red pepper cut in wedges
- 1 small zucchini sliced in rounds
- Place the chicken pieces in a Ziploc bag and use a meat mallet to flatten to 1/2" thickness. This ensures everything will cook evenly. Do not skip this step!
- Open the Ziploc bag and add in minced garlic, olive oil, herbs and lemon zest. Seal the bag and let marinate for a few hours or even better marinate overnight.
- Mix the veggies in a bowl, add in olive oil and seasoning and set aside. There is no need to marinate the veggies you can prep them just before assembling the skewers.
Assembling the skewers
- Turn on grill to 350 degrees. Make sure grates are cleaned and oiled.
- Alternate the chicken and vegetable pieces on the skewers. Feel free just make chicken skewers, veggies or a combo of both.
- Grill the skewers on medium heat until chicken is cooked through about 10-15 min.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken using a thermometer. Once the internal temp is 165°remove from grill and let cool.
- Enjoy skewers on its own or with some warm pita!
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.